USA Lottery - News - Multi-Million-Dollar Lottery Ticket Expires, Funds Directed towards Education

Multi-Million-Dollar Lottery Ticket Expires, Funds Directed towards Education

by: Tim | February 22, 2024
Multi-Million-Dollar Lottery Ticket Expires, Funds Directed towards Education

In a shocking revelation, a Mega Millions lottery ticket purchased in Florida last August which was worth a whopping $36 million has gone unclaimed. The ticket was deemed expired after no one came forward to claim the life-changing prize before the Sunday, Feb. 11 deadline.

Missed Fortune and Voided Winnings

The momentous occasion of winning the lottery turned into a missed opportunity when the deadline to claim the prize passed. According to Michelle Griner, a spokesperson with the Florida Lottery, the winning ticket is now only as valuable as its paper as it has been rendered void. Consequently, the winner has lost all chance of claiming the massive payout.

The expiration deadline was set for 180 days from the date of the drawing, which took place on Aug. 15, 2023. The winning ticket was purchased at a Publix outlet in Jacksonville, bearing the winning numbers 18, 39, 42, 57, and 63, along with the Mega Ball number 7. The Megaplier multiplier was 3.

This incident was unique in 2023 as it was the only unclaimed Mega Millions jackpot ticket that year as stated on the Mega Millions website.

A Silver Lining

While the unclaimed ticket may seem disappointing, there is an upside to this incident. According to Florida state law 80% of the unclaimed prize funds are mandated to be transferred to a trust fund dedicated to education. The remaining 20% is channeled back into the prize pool for future lottery drawings.

Based on this calculation, $28.8 million of the unclaimed $36 million will be directed towards education, while $7.2 million will go back into the prize pool for future winners.

A Year of Lost Jackpots

Regrettably, this was not the only instance of an unclaimed lottery fortune in Florida in 2023. A Florida Lotto jackpot worth $44 million also expired at midnight on Monday, Dec. 11, 2023. This means that within a span of just two months Florida witnessed a total of $80 million in unclaimed lottery winnings from merely two drawings.

  • latest MEGA Millions lottery result

    Latest MEGA Millions result:
    Tuesday, Apr 9, 2024

    1. 34
    2. 43
    3. 51
    4. 52
    5. 69
    6. 25
    7. Megaplier: x4

    Next draw
    Friday, Apr 12, 2024

    Jackpot total
    $120,000,000

  • The Florida Lottery

    The Florida Lottery has been a significant contributor to the state’s education system since its inception in 1988. Apart from providing players with an opportunity to win substantial prizes the lottery also plays a pivotal role in supporting public education. Over the years, it has contributed billions of dollars to the Educational Enhancement Trust Fund.

    Florida lottery games include Mega Millions, Powerball, Florida Lotto, Cash4Life, Fantasy 5, and various Scratch-Off games. With such a diverse range of games, the lottery offers multiple chances for players to win and change their lives. However as the instances of unclaimed prizes suggest it’s crucial for winners to claim their prizes within the stipulated time to avoid missing out on their fortunes.


    Share:

    2024 STRATEGIES

    Lottery strategies for Pick 3, Pick 4, Mega Millions, Powerball and more!
    2024 lottery strategies guide